Tuesday 27 December 2011

See ya laters (hopefully)

After an very long (24 waking hours) Saturday, Sunday was set to be a recovery day. But who would want to sleep in and get some rest when you could get up at have our very last pancake breakfast as an Atawhai family. So it was over to Ema and Franzi's flat to make some delicious pancakes. We had been using the same recipe every Sunday and today, our last Sunday, we finally tracked down ALL of the ingredients. We were always missing something before but this day we did it and of course had to add some other tasty additions like apples, cinnamon, and chocolate chips. Giso and Zaki had been the first to leave and Alex was to leave right after breakfast. It was a fun breakfast although the fact that we were all leaving in the next 3 days hung over us thicker then the fog on Taranaki. There were too many awkward silences for a group of our size so I guess we just ran out things to talk about so that made it good we were all leaving right? No, really we were all just not looking for leaving and I guess didn't like talking about it, at least that is how I felt. Everyone had lots to do and I got a few things done and then headed to church.
Church was the same as always, except for the whole time I was thinking how this was my last Sunday. I hadn't been really close with too many of the ward members but I would still miss the ward and the awesome people I had met. The Haerewa's, Crawford's, Reiri's, Ereti's, Matthew's,Allan's and YSA especially were all so good to me. Sister Haerewa announced my leaving in relief society and she was sweet and gave me such a big hug and kiss before I left. Her family is so amazing, they are so giving, I really appreciated all their love and support. The Reiri's really were who made church a possibility for me. They were so great, they gave me a ride to church every Sunday and to all of the activities I went to. I sat with them in church every Sunday, it was so nice to have them as friends at church from the beginning. It was truly a blessing that first day when I started talking to Yuko and she found out I was from Cottonwood Heights, Utah and she hesitantly asked if I was a member. Member of what? jk yep. How great was it to have my RA's as the only other members around? That saved me so much stress and made church like home. The Ereti's were so fun to talk to and I loved seeing Bevan on campus as he worked in the ESS department. Ema and I would go visit him and I'd try and convince him to tell all my profs to give me A's, it must have worked ;) I appreciated all the dinners and rides so much from everybody. It was sorta hard to say all my thank yous and good byes.

After church it was back home to study and pack (mostly the latter). I had way too many other things on my mind to study well. For dinner everyone came over to our place and we made pizza one last time. We had plenty of toppings as everyone donated everything they had. We hung out and reminisced of all the amazing things we had done and seen. For many, their travels through New Zealand were set to continue for a weeks or months after. So we talked about all the cool places we've been and where to go. It was an incredible last night to spend with such good friends. I can't believe how much we had done and seen. When we all first met we were from such different worlds and yet that never really mattered. One by one people started leave and we had to say our good byes and hopefully some of those see ya laters will happen. Many of my friends were leaving in the morning and it was likely I would never see them again. I really loved the people I was surrounded by. I couldn't have asked for better people. They were the ones that made my study abroad experience so incredible. The country was beautiful, the school was accommodating, but my friends are what I will miss the most. I was able to control much of my experience as far as where I lived, traveled, and the classes I took but it was a great blessing to have the friends that I did. Many of the friends I made based on where I lived. Originally I was set to live in a freshman dorm building on campus with a meal plan, after some bad experiences with meal plans at the U, I asked to be moved and was put on a waiting list before I got to NZ. After a short period I was accepted to live in Flat 11 Keiller Place in Atawhai. If you have read many of my other blogs I probably don't really need to reiterate how much I love Atawhai. But I will briefly: I loved my flatmates, my neighbors, my flat, the neighboring cows, the river we had to cross to campus, and every single one of the 169 dirt steps through the forest I walked multiple times a day to get home. All of us students came to NZ alone, most for just 1 semester, with no geographically close friends or family. So we quickly bonded and learned to support each other because no one else was there to do it. I never lived more than 13 miles from my family so I really appreciated all of there support. It is strange to think how far away we all are now and how it will be a long time before I see any of them again. We want to all get together in Germany in 2012 or 2013 and hopefully it will happen. I am the furthest away besides the kiwis so I think I'll have to start saving my pennies. But I think a quick trip up to Canada might be needed before too long. With all my friends gone, I would be sort of worried to go back to New Zealand just because it wouldn't ever be the same but hopefully someday I'll be able to make it back. Anyway, back to the point, saying good bye was something I wasn't looking forward to but there was no more putting it off. There were a few tears to go around but there really wasn't much else to be said as people walked out that flat 11 door. We still have facebook, emails, and skype :) thank goodness for technology. After everyone left I was too tired to study and just decided to get up the next day and study all morning until my 2:15 test.

No comments:

Post a Comment