Wednesday 28 December 2011

That bittersweet moment when you have to leave New Zealand to go to Australia

The next morning came with some pounding on my window. As a woke completely dazed and confused about what was happening, I thought one of my flatmates was knocking on my door, but I opened it and no one was there. Then the knocking happened again and it was at my window, so with my eyes still half open, I opened the curtains to the all to bright sun and Ema's smiling face. It was 7:30 and she came to wake me up to eat breakfast with her and Brayden before she left in an hour. As confused and half asleep as I was I was happy to see her. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to catch her in the morning. I threw on some clothes and headed over to Brayden's. Brayden and Ema made some delicious egg dish I don't know the name but it was an egg cooked in a ring of a pepper with cheese melted on top on a piece of hummus toast. It was so good!. Graeme, Brayden, Ema, and Benedict were set to leave this morning, so I hung around as long as possible. Ema was heading up to Auckland for a couple days and Graeme, Brayden, and Benedict were headed to the South Island. We said our good byes. It was a crazy day, saying bye to some of my best friends in NZ and having to try and prepare for a final and get myself ready to leave. It was a day of running around and being a bit lost in my own head trying to keep track of everything and everyone so I was sure not to miss anyone before they left.

I did some last minute studying, ate some lunch, and headed off to finish my last final, Sport Coaching. When I got to the classroom, I sat down and stared at the book on my desk....26 pages. My final was 26 pages long! looked like I'd be there the full 3 hours after all. Fortunately a lot of the info overlapped with stuff I had learned in other classes and I felt ok about the rest of the test. There were a few sticklers and some I had to write a couple pages to answer but I finished the test just in time and was exhausted! I was excited to be done but so dead from the test. I finished a few things around campus with Julianne then we head back to the seemingly empty Atawhai. Bene and Franzi were just getting to leave as we returned, so it was more goodbyes. Julianne and I combined left overs to make dinner and my friend from church Viladmir came over to say goodbye and help me pack. I'm really glad I had this last night to see a few more friends as I was originally going to leave right after my final. My "black brother", Rashmi came over for a bit, along with Yuko and we all hung out for a bit and I unloaded all my leftover groceries on Yuko. I was really not looking forward to leaving but I had a plane to catch so there was no avoiding it. I stayed up late packing and finally had everything ready. I woke up early the next morning to clean my flat and catch the bus to Wellington. Tamil was the only one left in my flat. She hates goodbyes and had avoiding saying them to most people but I made her come out of her room and tell me goodbye. She told me a quick goodbye and just gave me a very sweet two page note reflecting on our time together, I really appreciated her heartfelt thoughts. Then for my very last time I left Atawhai flat 11. Viladmir was very sweet and gave me a ride to the bus stop so I didn't have to haul my 4 bags down to the bus stop. It was tortuous waiting for the bus, thinking everything I was leaving, but really there wasn't much left for me at Massey university. My classes were over and most my friends were all gone. So it was time to move on to my new adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment